Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Love hurts

Carson is in love. Her name is Brooke and she sits next to him in class. A few months ago we were listening to his favorite song, “Hey there Delilah” and he let out this big dramatic sigh. And just as serious as he could be he said, “when I first heard this song, that when I knew- I was in love.”

Since that time he has continued to share the trials and tribulations of love with me. When he brought home a “23” on a homework page, he explained that he was trying to do his work, but Brooke was staring at him and he just couldn’t concentrate. He asked me sometime later, “Mom, have you ever felt this way, you know, in love?” I explained that yes, I have in fact, known love as evidenced by my um, marriage to his father. He kinda thought about that for a minute and I could see that he had decided that no; I had no idea what he was talking about.

Luckily, Brooke loves him too, Rosalie said. Rosalie also said that Brooke plans on kissing him on the playground. Once I heard that I decided that Carson and I needed to talk about appropriate behavior for 6 year olds. And I believe that I made it abundantly clear, that at no point, will anyone be kissing anybody anywhere. After much discussion, Carson decided that he’s fine with not kissing, but he thinks he still will take her to the prom. Since I've got about 10 years before that becomes a pressing concern, I decided to save any discussions regarding dating until later.

Can you imagine the self discipline that it takes to have these conversations with a straight face? I have always told him that he can tell me anything because I am his mom. And so I am immensely honored that he chooses to share these little secrets with me. And because he is so darn serious about it all, I am equally serious in my answers to his questions. But, inside, well inside, I am giggling my head off. It’s so stinking cute I want to just scoop him up and smother him with hugs and kisses. But instead, I solemnly nod my head and agree that love is indeed, complicated.

Dobie thinks it is all ridiculous and that I should just tell him he is too young to be in love. What he fails to see is that Carson’s tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve comes directly from Dobie himself. Carson is Dobie in miniature. And I am not about to stomp out in the son what I so love about the father. So for now, we will continue to help Carson navigate his way through the rough water of young love.

You know, it was not so long ago when all Carson wanted to do was marry me. And as wierd as that was, it was alot easier to deal with than all of this other stuff.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Wait! This happens at 6? I only have two more years. I'm not ready for this!

Alyssa said...

So young for such big feelings! Precious! But maybe this means he doesn't really need help with school work . . . just the opportunity to take his tests sans girlfriend looking at him!