Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Carson K.- Second Grader



And so begins another school year with fresh new hair cuts and squeaky clean shoes. Carson has begun the second grade (oh, where has the time gone) and seems to be enjoying it thus far. He is placed at a table with the class genius (please let her work habits rub off on him) and his best friend, Samuel. Not a bad start I’d say.

I can also happily report that he actually likes school this year. And if I have to pinpoint what changed from all the years past, I believe that the credit should go to Sylvan. I don't know what they did over the summer, but it has made a tremendous difference. He has lost that choppy cadence in his reading which seemed to stunt his ability to comprehend what the heck he was supposed to be reading in the first place. It has really changed everything. Listening to him get through a 12 page reading assignment literally brought tears to my eyes. I knew that we were no longer going to have to fight that demon that had Carson convinced that he was just not smart enough to do the work.

Also making the transition to school a bit easier was the fact that Carson turned 7 on Monday. I brought cupcakes for the class and regaled them with tales of Carson’s crazy antics as a baby. I have told these same stories to the same kids for years now, but I guess some stories never get old. They never get tired of hearing how when he was two, he found the scrap of umbilical cord I had saved in his baby book and immediately popped it in his mouth to eat it. I suppose that umbilical cord humor is just gross enough to hold their interest over time. Another favorite tale that they always beg to hear about is when he went up in the play tubes at McDonald’s completely dressed and came down stark raving naked eating somebody else’s chicken nugget. That is always sure to gets them going. And I can always finish big with the time that we were getting ready to go out and I looked up to see Carson riding the garage door all the way up to the top. He was, and still is actually, such a hoot to be around.

When I asked him if he felt any different now that he was seven, he said, "I think I 've changed alot. I used to like grilled cheese and hate reading and now I love reading and hate grilled cheese." Well, there's that.




2 comments:

Alyssa said...

It's hard to believe you have a child who's 7! You're too young for that! He cracks me up! I've never heard anyone have such distaste for grilled cheese, but I'm sure glad he likes reading.

Caroline said...

I love the umbilical story. Hilarious. Glad the school year is off to a good start.