Friday, April 18, 2008

Boot Camp Blues

Boot Camp Day 8. Things have taken a turn for the worse.

I showed up a couple of minutes late for my Thursday night class, thereby missing the stretching segment of the class. Big mistake. While doing hamstring curls with “power bands” wrapped around my ankles, I felt something go terribly wrong. My hamstring did not necessarily snap or pop, but it tightened up and started to get hot. Not willing to admit that I was hurt, I went on to run some laps and then run the stairs with my group. Bigger mistake. By the time I was willing to stop, I was in some doubt about whether I was going to be able to walk out on my own two feet. I got the kids rounded up and hobbled home.

Things did not get better for me at this point. I took a hot bath and tried to stretch out my legs. By this time, both of my hamstrings hurt and my left knee was throbbing. I rummaged through the medicine cabinet and found some Icy Hot. Although I have smelled the stuff on Dobie before, I had never actually used it myself. I skipped reading the directions and went straight to application. Biggest mistake of all. I got too big of a blob in my hand so I just started rubbing it in all over my legs. In a few seconds it started to do what it is supposed to do and it got hot. Like 9000 degrees hot. That’s when I realized that I inadvertently got a little too close to my “hoo-haw” and that it was on fire. Preoccupied by my incenerating nethers, I didn't think it through and got back in the tub to scrub some of the hot lava off before my hoo-haw completely melted off. However, the hot water in the tub only exacerbated the thermal effects of the Icy Hot and the heat level to my tra-la-la reached Nuclear. Too embarrassed to ask Dobie to help me, (I mean seriously what was he going to do) I crawled into bed and prayed that I would soon pass out.

About twenty minutes later, everything returned to normal and I just went to sleep. Today, I am still in a substantial amount of pain but mostly I am just ticked. I am trying so hard to lose weight and I really don’t need to be hobbled right now. It takes a lot for me to get in an exercise frame of mind and I was there. Now, I am afraid that I will have to quit. Boo.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm really sorry that you're hurt and of your predicament in trying to make your leg better. But, it made for a very funny blog post!

Alyssa said...

It's hard to laugh at this post because I of all the pain you were in. As the girl on the sidelines, I'm impressed that you did 8 days of boot camp. No matter how badly I need it, this body will not participate in boot camp unless it is somehow drafted into the military.

Charity said...

I've heard that boot camp is pretty tough! Yea for you for making it that far! Hope you've recovered!
Your blog is hilarious by the way, keep it up..
Charity